Saturday, November 22, 2008
Hello everyone, hope things are good all around. I moved all my worldly belongings today and have a new address. It is
550 Jefferson Ave
Brooklyn NY 11221
The above image, ill admit, doesnt exactly have a ton to do with packing and moving, but hes in the process of motion, and im away from any scanning devices...so i raided an old moleskine drawing...cuz a post needs an image, in my world.
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
EDIT: Thank you for the comment, Josh! I'm glad you're still in this.
Welp, I suppose I will be patiently waiting and filling in more of my 3 moleskine pages until everyone finishes. :]
Tuesday, July 1, 2008
Friday, June 27, 2008
Just want to say, I'm very excited and eager to draw together! And I'll post back here when I obtain my journal. Just so this post isn't text only, here's a piece I've been working on.
EDIT: I got the moleskine! Currently working on filling it in.
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
"An ex-voto is a voting offering to a saint or divinity. It is given in fulfillment of a vow (hence the Latin term, short for ex voto suscepto, "from the vow made") or in gratitude or devotion. Ex-votos are placed in a church or chapel where the worshipper seeks grace or wishes to give thanks. The destinations of pilgrimages often include shrines decorated with ex-votos.Ex-votos can take a wide variety of forms. They are not only intended for the helping figure, but also as a testimony to later visitors of the received help. As such they may include texts explaining a miracle attributed to the helper, or symbols such as a painted or modeled reproduction of a miraculously healed body part, or a directly related item such as a crutch given by a person formerly lame."
When I was doing the tests to get in the University in 1997, one of aunts promised, on my behalf, I had to take a head to Senhor do Bomfim church in Salvador, if I were successfull. I got in and on one weekend that year I took the head made of wax and took it to Salvador/BA. I got amazed with the number of ex-votos everywhere there. It was a very bizar scene in the church, that is supposed to be the biggest in that city.
I picked ex-votos to start my moleskine for this group and soon it will be finished to be sent off. I had to make clear that my moly has no theme at all, the ex-voto is just to inspire myself to draw something on it. The moleskine project is an amazing thing and I am very happy to make part of another group of great artists.
Let's make art, folks.
My best wishes to you all,
Sunday, June 22, 2008
So yea- I was and am excited about this here project. I got the book and promptly started trying to start. Thing is, the enormity of an intercontinental showcase kinda intimidated me just a touch, and i reverted into photo refrenced portraiture. What i was left with reminded me of drawings i would see advertizing haircut styles in my childhood barbershop. I din rilly want that to be my lasting legacy, so Im gonna start a new one. R-A-T-T-Y suggested i show the failed attempt, as part of the process...really flesh the blog out. So heres what Im not sending to anybody.
Saturday, June 14, 2008
Tuesday, June 3, 2008
Friday, May 30, 2008
Each artist will set off with a small Japanese (accordian) folded Moleskine. Creating a drawing, collage, or painting, then send on to the next artist. Each artist will draw on a couple of spreads (3-4 pages) then send it on to the next artist. When the artists book is filled, it will be returned to the owner with images created by artist around the world. Each artist has a month to make an entry. The outcome will be a pleasant and surprising adventure, as artists are encouraged to interact and merge their art with others.
1. The artists start with the Japanese fold Moleskine - Name, address, email address written in book.
2. Each artist gets 1 month to make a sketchbook entry, and mail it to the next person. The order is listed to the right.
3. Each artist will do 3-4 pages each round.
4. Artists are encouraged to interact with other images in the book. Please be respectful.
5. When the book is full, when one side of the unfolded book is filled, the book will be sent back to its original owner. That artist may continue by buying a new book and sending it to the next person.
6. If a person decides not to continue, she will simply keep her book when it comes back to her. She should email all of the participants to say she is not going to continue. We will decide, then, if we want to find a new person.
7. Please communicate regularly via email. Let each person know that you have received/sent the book. The goal is to have a dialogue. Any comments and questions are welcome.
This moly_x_project was begun by Marty Harris, Minnesota, USA.